Most of us know only a few benefits of turmeric – anti-inflammatory, good for cough / cold and wounds. There are so many other health benefits this amazing herb provides to our body, one of them is for stomach.
Turmeric has been known to treat our body’s gastro-intestinal system. Turmeric helps our stomach to withstand digestive acids, which can otherwise harm it. Here are some benefits of turmeric to stomach:
- Helps in case of indigestion: Research studies have shown that turmeric helps in releasing of bile which is believed to help in digestion of food. Turmeric is known to do this by stimulation gallbladder which releases bile. Bile plays an important role in digestion and absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins in our small intestine. The use of turmeric herb r digestion related problems has also been approved by The German Commission E. Other studies have also shown the same.
- Gas buildup: Turmeric calms upper digestive system by getting rid of gas. Turmeric is also known to help increase absorption in intestine and promote intestinal flora.
- Ulcerative colitis is chronic digestive tract disease, it is not cure able and thus symptoms come and go. Ulcerative colitis can cause stomach pain and blood in feces. Studies were conducted on patients with ulcerative colitis and it was found that patients which were given turmeric had lower relapse rate. Thus turmeric provided benefit to patients.
- Gastric ulcers: The food we eat today can potentially cause harm to our digestive system. On a daily basis we eat food which have corrosive properties and harm wall of stomach and intestine. Turmeric helps by increasing gastric wall mucus which acts as a protective layer.
- Hemorrhoids: Turmeric is also helpful for patients having hemorrhoids. Turmeric with flaxseed oil can be taken orally of applied externally to get benefit.
How to use Turmeric for stomach problems
- In case of bleeding, take 2-3 tbs of turmeric after every 30 min till it stops
- For external application mix mustard oil, onion juice and turmeric and apply directly.
- Stomach disorders:
- Take spoonful of turmeric and put that in a yogurt and mix nicely It should be taken after lunch (not empty stomach).
- Turmeric capsules also help in taking care of indigestion.
Turmeric is safe to use as a food but make sure you do not take an overdose. Secondly, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid taking turmeric supplements and consult a doctor is they all have to take them.
As you can see turmeric helps in lot of ways and takes care of various digestive disorders. If you have used turmeric for digestive problems, please share your views here!